Quality Air Consultants - Symptoms of Mold Exposure - Port Wentworth, GA
Quality Air Consultants -Savannah's Pro's -  "Leaders in Solutions for a Healthy Indoor Environment"
Symptoms of Mold and Fungal Exposure
 
Mold toxicity is often the end result of constant exposure to mold of a toxic nature.  A common misconception among allergists who are untrained  in this type of toxicity levels in humans, which is technically not their area of expertise, unless they have trained specifically in environmental medicine with their background in immunology, is to perform general allergen testing.  Most tests usually result in an unequivocal result, a 2+ or less.  This induces some physicians to order allergy shots, regardless.  These shots are usually absolutely worthless (and possibly harmful) to a person who has been heavily exposed to these mycotoxins as they are already in a state of toxicity.   If anything, this could exacerbate the problem.  Because many doctors are not trained in this field, they may try to "guess" at a diagnosis.
 
In layman's terms, molds produce mycotoxins.  These substances, although unseen by the naked eye, are ingested and then enter the body through the skin, mucous and airways.  Once ingested, mold has the requirements to colonize and spread.  In doing this, it can compromise the immune system, and damage everyday processes of the body.  Mold and yeast are interchangeable only in their dimorphic state, which is often a big misconception, although both are fungi. 
 
Fungi, which includes yeasts, molds, smuts and mushrooms, are responsible for causing four types of mycotic (fungal) disease:
 
1.  Hypersensitivity - an allergic reaction to molds and spores.
2.  Mycotoxicosis - poisoning by food products contaminated by fungi
3.  Mycetismus - the ingestion of preformed toxin (toadstool poisoning)
4.  Infection (systemic) - (Mycotoxicosis; the subject below)
 
The following are the most common symptoms of fungal exposure:
 
* Fibromyalgia/mps (and several correlated symptoms)
* Respiratory distress, coughing, sneezing, sinusitis
* Difficulty swallowing, choking, spitting up (vomiting) mucous
* Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
* Burning in the throat and lungs (similar to acid reflux)
* Asthmatic signs: wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing, burning lungs
* Irritable bowl syndrome, nausea, diarrhea, sharp abdominal pain
* Bladder, liver, spleen or kidney pain.
* Dark or painful urine
* Dirt-like taste in the mouth, coated tongue
* Food allergies/leaky gut syndrome/altered immunity
* Memory loss: brain fog, slurred speech
* Vision problems
* Swollen lymph nodes
* Large boils on neck (often a sign of anaphylaxis)
* Yellowing of nails, ridges or white marks under nail
* Thyroid irregularities, sometimes leading to complete dysfunction
    adrenal problems
* Headaches
* Anxiety/depression, heart palpitations - confusion
* Extreme blood pressure, cholesterol, or triglycerides irregularities
* Ringing in ears, balance problems (very common), dizziness, loss
    of hearing
* Chronic fatigue
* Intermittent facial flushing; almost always systemic - Mylar Flush
* Night head sweats, and drooling while sleeping, profuse sweating
* Multiple chemical sensitivity; with exposure to Stachybotrys and
   Chaetomium
* Nose bleeds (Stachybotrys)
* Bruising/scaring easily; rash or hives, bloody lesions on the skin
* Reproductive system complications, menstrual cycle changes,
   miscarriage
* Sudden weight changes
* Cancer
* Hair loss, brittle nails
* Joint/muscle stiffness and pain
* Irregular heart beat/heart attack
* Seizures, inadvertent body jerking, twitching, numbness in face
* Hypersensitivity when re-exposed to molds leading to anaphylaxis
* Anaphylaxis upon re-exposure to mycotoxin producing molds
* Death - in extreme cases
 
Different mold species can have varying health effects, but is is important to remember that any excessive mold growth needs to be taken care of, regardless of the species.  Any excessive mold growth can leads to increased allergies, toxicity, and house/building structural problems.